Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fancy picnic ideas

These dishes can be make ahead and they are perfect for picnic in the park or lunch at work. I prepare two healthy lunches each morning and pack them in glass containers. I love to take to work stylish and interesting lunch! So, here I share with you some options. My husband totally loves creamy dressings. So, to indulge him, I often make buttermilk-yogurt-mayonnaise dressing and pour it over orzo salad. The dish is complete, because I also add black beans, corn, grilled chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, and ricotta salata. Ricotta salata is my new favorite. It is almost like feta cheese, but less salty!



Creamy Orzo, Black Beans, and Corn Salad

One of the best protein-packed grains is quinoa. This Peruvian staple is good for you and tastes good as well. I usually cook it in chicken broth, then add tomatoes, red peppers, chicken, and ricotta salata cheese. The lemon vinaigrette gives a tangy zing to the salad. Remember, simplicity is the key to success. The whole point is to have something in your lunchbox that you are looking forward to enjoy :)

Protein-Packed Quinoa Salad

Finally, my Cuban Rice Salad (inspired by the "moros y cristianos" dish). I cook some red and white long-grain rice and then add cannellini beans (but I have tried with black, pinto, and kidney beans and they all work perfectly here), cubed chicken, feta cheese, and avocado. The dressing features balsamic vinegar and cumin! So simple yet sophisticated lunch!!!


Cuban White Beans Rice Salad


No comments:

Post a Comment